Friday, January 29, 2010

Boot Camp

What was the most important thing you learn in Boot Camp. Explain why.

I feel like Boot Camp just helped me remember things that I have learned throughout High School along with some new information. I really liked that some of the homework assignments forced me out of my comfort zone. For example, making sure I include what "I say" but also include what "they say" in my essays. It makes the arguement stronger when I show the other peoples opinions, and also explains to the readers why I am writing an essay on a certain topic. Throughout High School I have been writing essays that follow the 5 paragraph format and the typical thesis statements. So it is going to be difficult for me to leave the behind and start from fresh, but I am excited to see the improvement in my writing throughout the semester. Boot Camp helped me to make sure a take a second look at my essays and make sure i am achieving the goal of my essay, that the readers get out of the essay that I want them to get. Boot Camp definetly helped me get on the right track to write essays throughout this class.

4 comments:

  1. I think boot camp was a good review for all of us. Especially since most of us probably weren't in writing intensive courses last semester, our writing skills are a little out of shape. Rachel helped reinforce what we learned in high school, but also taught us that it's okay to "break the rules" and that we don't always have to follow the five paragraph format.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book "They Say/I Say" inspired a good portion of the "Boot Camp" (i feel like a fag when i call it Boot Camp, so adding quotations makes it better). But if you read the book then it explains very clearly the importance of they say/I say in more detail than "boot camp" did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree! The "they say" and "I say" parts in the assignments helped me realize that I can't just write everything I think. I'd have to show the opposing side of the argument and state why they aren't right.
    Also, everything in high school english classes were brought back up during boot camp!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everything you said! Especially the part about learning about the "They say" and "I say". That was really helpful and really does make the essay much more interesting and better. I feel like I also learned a lot of this in high school, but boot camp refreshed my memory and made me remember what's most important.

    ReplyDelete