Friday, February 5, 2010

"After intially writing the essay on your opinion of Christopher McCandless, has further read in the book Into the Wild changed your opinion of McCandless or set or more so set it in stone?"

As I continue to read further and further into the book Into the Wild my views about McCandless are still the same. When I wrote my essay I thought that McCandless did not deserve all the praise that he has recieved and that he was naiive about the whole thing. I totally understand wanting to go and live off the wilderness, be one with nature. But McCandless would accept help from people, worked jobs, lived in certain places while on his trip. In I believe chapter 2 it talks about the people finding Chris and that he had been living in a bus. I think if he really wanted to experience nature he wouldn't be living inside a bus, but instead out in the wilderness. I also just can not get over the fact that Chris just stopped having contact with his family. Im really close to my family, and I cannot imagine what it would be like to lose contact with my sister for two years to finally find out that she had died. I still don't understand why he would want to do that... Im still trying to keep an open mind, so we will see if my opinion of him changes as I continue on reading.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if my opinion of McCandless will ever change. I agree with you on the idea that I can't understand how he could lose connection with his family. I understand that he didn't like his parents, but I remember reading somewhere that he was fairly close to Carine. Like you, I can't imagine ever splitting ties with my brother. I just can't wrap my mind around that... but I guess I still need to keep an open mind as I continue reading as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that my opinion of him wwon't change, i'm just too stubborn and regardless of the contents of the rest of the book, my ideas about him are set in stone. I hope to disocver some other redeeming qualities in him though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree with the family part. I think leaving his family, and deciding not to tell them where he was going or what he was doing was selfish. I am so close with my family and just thinking about doing that to them makes me sad. To put them in Chris' parents shoes kills me. Along with the letter he wrote to his sister. I don't think what he did with his parents is right at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean, I wouldn't EVER want to lose contact with my family. I think I'd cry and just die right there. I get that he wasn't close with his family and such, but why would you just abandon them? They probably hate themselves and blamed themselves for being stupid parents or something..

    ReplyDelete