Friday, April 16, 2010

I think that Krakauer was very successful in his development of Into the Wild. He did a really good job of allowing the reader to create his own opinion of Chris McCandless instead of just strait up saying his own opinion for Chris. He did a very good job of showing different sides of the arguement about Chris and helped the readers gain a deeper understanding of Chris McCandless. Also his use of his own personally stories throughout the book helped further explain his personal connections with Chris. I think it is good that is not tell the ending of the book where the reader is fully exposed to Kraukers view of McCandless. This is shown in the extensive research Krauker does to try and prove that Chris was not stupid while in the wild, he knew what to eat and he would not make a careless mistake like eating the wrong berry that would cause his death, instead it was just an extrememly unfortuante accident that the plant would cause his body to starve and not turn food into usuable energy. Something that could happen to anyone. He was not stupid, just unlucky.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed how he included other young men's personal accounts in the wild. It helped support the fact that Chris wasn't the only one who had taken a journey into the wild. I suppose Krakauer allowed his readers to develop their own opinion of Chris throughout the story. For me, his opinions made its way into almost every chapter and got in the way of the facts some times. For this reason, I felt that he was a little pervasive in McCandless' story. Nonetheless, I was still able to develop my own opinion of Chris, which is definitely not the same as Krakauer's opinion. As I mentioned in my blog, I'm not entirely sure if I buy the potato seed story. Especially after Rachel mentioned that the whole thing could have possibly been made up. I have yet to look into that further. If his research about the potato seed is actually factual, I do think that added to his success in developing his story and supporting his argument that Chris was not insane.

    ReplyDelete